It should be no surprise to you that your employees can get easily distracted. A whole host of things can come in and wreck productivity if you are not watching out for it. In today’s information age, there are many distractions that are begging for your attention.
Company Time Matters
Spending your time poorly leads to the feeling of being overwhelmed. When you do not use your time wisely, it takes longer to accomplish a task than what it should. For that reason, people are spending more and more time at work, but not being as productive as they could be.
There was a time in a business environment that personal issues were not to be dealt with. It is a chain effect that is passed down from the higher ups to low level employees. We cannot possibly expect our team and staff to refrain from social media outlets, if we chose to indulge.
Lead From the Front
Effective leaders lead from the front. Here are some things you can do to combat the attention of your employees and reduce their feelings of being overwhelmed.
- Establish ground rules for social media -it might be a bit impossible to ban social media completely from the work scene. Many companies rely on social media marketing to get their name out there. Instead of banning it altogether, set up clear expectations.
- Provide ample breaks for employees -when you spend a lot of time focusing on a task, you can hit the point of burnout. It is important that you provide breaks to your employees. This will give your staff a chance to rest their minds.
- Set the example -if you are constantly walking around staring at your cell phone screen, you can’t expect the other employees of the business to be respectful of the social media ground rules. Be sure you lead by example.
- Give specific tasks and clear deadlines -many people work best from a list of To-Do’s. It is also helpful if you put into place a clear deadline. This will give your employees the motivation they need to get their work done.
- Create a pleasing environment -when people are in an environment that they enjoy, they will feel less distracted. It is important to create a work environment that lends itself to few distractions, good productivity, and easy to work in.
With these tips, you can help guide your employees in being less distracted. That is important to the success of your business.
Need help? Contact us today!
Written for us by our associate Gary Sorrell, Sorrell Associates, LLC.
Copyright protected. All rights reserved.